Along with the rest of Connecticut the Kay family got taken down with the freak October snowstorm. We lost power around 11pm Saturday and finally the lights all came on again at 4:52am Thursday.
So here are the rules to surviving a long power outage.
1. Dress Warmly. Never mind how silly you look.
2. Have a gas BBQ Grill or gas stove.
3. If you have a gas grill, have a cast iron dutch oven. If you have this, you can cook anything in it. Soup, scrambled eggs, pasta, rice, boil water for drinks, interesting canned vegetable creations. Seriously, anything you can do in “one pot cooking” you can do on a gas grill with a cast iron dutch oven.
4. Put gas in the car as soon as you can. Lines for gas were over 100 cars in some places.
5. Get cash as soon as you can. Supermarkets often had emergency power to run lights and the cash registers. No debit/credit.
6. Coffee singles and hot chocolate singles.
7. Find any power source and recharge laptops and cell phones shamelessly. Laptops make great DVD players. Get at least three DVD’s for the 7th grade sleepover party happening on the Saturday night at the beginning of the power outage and re-watch them endlessly.
8. Yankee Candles burn for an exceptionally long time. A proper camping lantern throws an epic amount of light and saves on batteries amazingly well. We still haven’t replaced any for it.
9. Know that even though most of the kids fish are going to die, you must try a heroic water warming effort over multiple days anyway. It helps to think of how bored those fish are in those cruel little tanks, and how badly they want to die.
10. Everyone sleep in one bedroom. Humans are heated to 98.6 F. Therefore you are all heaters. So huddle together in one room.
Also sex during an extended power outage is amazing, well at least for me anyway lol. Mmmmmm warm vagina. Though I gotta admit sneaking into a frigid living room for a quickie was getting really old. Jennifer truly hates the cold with a primal passion and she stayed non-cranky all week.
…returning to regularly scheduled awesomeness.
I’ll be getting to everyone’s email sometime today hopefully.
- Be A Strapping Version Of You: The Smell Of Power If you do nothing else to improve your sex life...