I got asked about the legendary sex-fest that is the Olympic Village and why it it so. The way I’ve heard it is that it’s a running-of-the-bulls like stampede to the bedrooms all across the village for the whole two weeks.
So, some thoughts as to why.
(1) Prime rib beefcake bodies. Everyone at the Olympics is ultra-fit and in shape and top shelf genetics to boot. Everyone is at their peaks of physicality and that also equates to peaks of sexuality as well.
(2) Non-local DNA. Boys from over there and girls from somewhere else can have a major boost to sexual interest simply based on their ability to successfully cross-breed for even healthier babies.
(3) Time Limit creates sales pressure. That amazingly hot guy /girl who makes you hard as a rock / slippery as an eel, is going to be gone forever in a little under two weeks. Have sex now or not at all.
(4) Separation from primary partner creating opportunity. If the athletes primary partner is watching them on TV from half a world away, they aren’t around to cockblock and will likely have no way of knowing the truth of what happened. This is the same effect as “business conference” for the rest of us.
(5) Testosterone. Both male and female athletes have a higher than usual testosterone level, which is what drives the baseline raw sexual drive.
(6) Relief from Stress. Once your event is done, there’s nothing else you have to do. Four years of pent up self-discipline and epic level training can suddenly stop and the athletes can turn the party switch from all the way off, to all the way on. Suddenly they can eat ice cream, and drink and get a little (or a lot) crazy.
(7) Altered States. The Olympics is such a high level event that athletes will typically experience very high levels of dopamine for the entire two weeks. For most of the athletes, this is quite literally the most amazing period of their life. It can almost be an out of body experience with the massive crowds and fame and TV and everything that’s happening throwing your body into an all-purpose “in love” state of being.
(8) Culture. If you go to the Olympics with everyone thinking it’s a two week orgy, it increases the likelihood that it’s a two week orgy. It’s what happens there… and when in Rome…
All that being said, it’s probably not everyone that goes to the Olympics that indulges. I suspect it’s a little like college where there’s a noisy group that goes all out and a decently sized group of people that stay out of it. Sucks if your event is on the last day lol.
The chaps who win gold medals – even those as geeky as Michael Phelps – are the principal objects of desire for many female athletes. There is something about sporting success that makes a certain type of woman go crazy – smiling, flirting and sometimes even grabbing at the chaps who have done the business in the pool or on the track. An Olympic gold medal is not merely a route to fame and fortune; it is also a surefire ticket to writhe. But – and this is the thing – success does not work both ways. Gold-medal winning female athletes are not looked upon by male athletes with any more desire than those who flunked out in the first round. It is sometimes even considered a defect, as if there is something downright unfeminine about all that striving, fist pumping and incontinent sweating.
Hypergamy is still in effect with the female athletes wanting to hook up with the gold medalists, and the guys still want to bang the hot looking chicks. Which all sounds like someone set the Olympic Village maturity level to “high school”.
Or spelling things out more clearly… if you’re a male Gold medalist you get to hook up with the beach volleyball babes. If you fail to medal… there’s always the women’s shotputters with great personalities.
Pro Tip: Synchronized Swimmers are your best shot at a threesome.