I’m often criticized by Christians as being either “too quick” to suggest divorce, or even “pro-divorce”. Usually it’s not a complete slamming of me/MMSL, more of an element that makes it’s way into my final grade so to speak. MMSL is amazing and wonderful and deserves an A, but the whole willingness to divorce thing drops me to a B.
I get it. I totally understand that point of view. If you have a Christian world view, that makes sense to me that you think that way. The trouble is though, sometimes a completely genuine divorce threat works like nothing else does to unstick a stagnant marriage.
So the difficulty is that it can work, but is wrong to use. Awkward.
So let’s get real about this shall we.
There’s not too much question in my mind that a genuine divorce threat is a non-sanctioned Christian tool. I agree that you’re coming over to the dark side to try this tactic. That being said, I *very* rarely jump to an instant divorce suggestion and those cases where I do are truly horrible. The entire Phases of the MAP is designed to actually slow down the rush to judgment and get everything as good as they can be, before ever getting to a true divorce ultimatum. It’s a true last resort. Even then, it’s a true ultimatum – a choice – with a positive option for the other spouse to choose. All they have to do is act right.
It’s not simply a random nuke tossed out. It’s something that offers a clear and positive resolution if your spouse is willing to take it. So honestly I get a little ticked at being framed as “pro-divorce” or slap happy on recommending it.
So does the end justify the means?
Yes. Yes it does. If that means you’re in a happy marriage as a result, absolutely it does.
It all just needs to be controlled, managed and staged as best it can for minimal risk and maximum possible gain. If it all works out for the best, I think you’ll be able to live with it. But I do get that it’s stressful and stomach churning to think about.
You know what the REAL risk is though? One day something in your marriage is just going to get so bad, you’re going to snap anyway.
I’d rather see you get help before that happens. If you’ve tried everything else and it hasn’t worked, come see me.
- What Your Partner Reading MMSL Really Means So you either found your husband or wife reading MMSL, or...
- What It Means When She Tells You She Kissed Another Man Most people are basically moral. Meaning faced with a moderate degree...
- What It Means When A Wife Says “I’m Bored”. There’s something about the rattle of a rattlesnake that immediately...
- Why The Church Wants Men To Be Betaized Care Bears ***Just to be 100% clear for any new readers. I...
- Maybe Isn’t A No, It Means Keep Talking… Athol: A selection of comments from Flipper… Flipper: Email exchange...